Harald;

> At 09:19 13.05.2000 +0859, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> >For VoIP over telephony networks (that is, mostly over non-Internet
> >networks), H.323 and SS7 are the protocols to choose, because they
> >are defined by ITU-T.
> H.323 is defined for a LAN environment, not for telephone lines.

For telephony people, the IP protocol is for a LAN environment
that there is no difference between H.323, SIP, TELNET, or DNS
for that matter.

> SS7 is not a protocol accessible to the subscriber.

So?

As I said:

> >For VoIP over telephony networks

some protocol is necessary between two telephony networks.

FYI, there is a protocol called TBGP proposed in IETF for the purpose.

> If you want to use ITU protocols, please choose some other numbers.

So, you are saying SGCP/MGCP are wrong to use 323.

Fine.

FYI, in my design of "The Simple Internet Phone":

        If you are interested in Internet telephony, see you at
        INET'2000 in Yokohama for the presentation of our paper
        "The Simple Internet Phone".

I chose to keep using 164 (sorry, not 42) at least for the time being,
because it is the easiest way to let subscribers replace telephony
network with the Internet.

                                                        Masataka Ohta