Joe Touch wrote:

>> IANA can't change the status of an STD - that's an IESG action.
>> If you think this matters, I would raise it with the latter.

> Agreed.

I was not aware that there was ever a proposed STD-1 I-D and/
or last call. Anyway, is it possible to declare (by whoever)
the http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm as STD-2? Or, perhaps a
mini RFC as STD-2 that informs where to get the current
numbers?

I also believe that more information should be added into an
RFC:
- where to get an RFC
- where to get the recent status of an RFC
It is sometimes very confusing for the internet community at
large, to trace back the source of accurate information.

PS, these following was cited from a standard /etc/services:

# Note that it is presently the policy of IANA to assign a single well-known
# port number for both TCP and UDP; hence, most entries here have two entries
# even if the protocol doesn't support UDP operations.
# Updated from RFC 1700, ``Assigned Numbers'' (October 1994).  Not all ports
# are included, only the more common ones.
[...]
# From ``Assigned Numbers'':
#> The Registered Ports are not controlled by the IANA and on most systems
#> can be used by ordinary user processes or programs executed by ordinary
#> users.
#> Ports are used in the TCP [45,106] to name the ends of logical
#> connections which carry long term conversations.  For the purpose of
#> providing services to unknown callers, a service contact port is
#> defined.  This list specifies the port used by the server process as its
#> contact port.  While the IANA can not control uses of these ports it
#> does register or list uses of these ports as a convienence to the
#> community.

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org