This is apparently the most recent one;
  http://weblog.mercurycenter.com/ejournal/2001/02/14

  [...]
  In that world, every client -- that is, every PC and other device
  connected to the Net -- should also be a server. Lots of people are
  working on this, but a Menlo Park startup called KnowNow has
  figured out something that just might set off a new Net revolution.

  I didn't know this before today, but it turns out that a Web
  browser can hold open the connection to the server. Normally, a
  browser sends a request for information, which is delivered by the
  server. The connection ends.

  KnowNow holds the connection open. Then it adds some JavaScript
  and, voila, you have a mini-server inside the browser. You're not
  necessarily using lots of bandwidth, but you are pretending, in
  effect, that you're downloading a very, very long document while
  the browser keeps communicating with the server.

I wonder how/if they deal with proxies, in terms of connection
handling and identifying the client...

--
Mark Nottingham, Research Scientist
Akamai Technologies (San Mateo, CA)