Suresh,

I don't mind having WG lists moderate contributions from non-subscribers,
provided the moderator can act in a timely fashion (say within a day or
so) and the moderator allows any post that is even arguably on-topic for
the list.

for reasons already stated, I doubt that a single moderator could be
found for the main ietf list.  but I would like to see an experiment
with the 'multiple per-message moderators chosen at random from the
subcriber list' proposals.

the problem with the NAT list was that posts from non-susbcribers
were, apparently, simply discarded.  as you point out, this has since
been fixed.

Keith

p.s. I don't think the question of whether we inconvience the legitimate
poster or the spammer more is the relevant one.  a better question is
which filtering policy allows our organization to function more effectively -
given that 'effectiveness' includes honoring our principle of open participation
and being open to good ideas from all sources.