On 10/11/02, Ward Harold wrote:

>As John says XML-RPC actually predates SOAP. It's also
>simpler and thus easier to implement but SOAP has better
>support for handling complex types. Ultimately you have to
>choose the one that best meets your application
>requirements.
>

> p.s. RFC 3288 describes how to use SOAP over BEEP

For systems that have to support SOAP *anyway*, XML-RPC
would be an additional feature to implement. If a
developer already has a SOAP implementation available,
are there any justifications for using XML-RPC?

- Reduced code space?
- Shorter messages to accomplish the same calls?
- More robust handling of any conditions?

I'm not throwing these out as rhetorical questions.
These are just the types of justifications I would want
for maintaining two options, rather than settling on one.

A quick google scan for justifications mostly came up
with arguments on why XML-RPC would be better *instead
of* SOAP. Are there valid arguments on why it is a
valuable tool *in addition to* SOAP?

Caitlin Bestler
http://asomi.com/CaitlinBestler/