> On the other hand, it's much faster and convenient to scan (and
> search) a text transcript compared to viewing a video feed.  It
> also takes up less space to store.  It's extremely amusing to
> think of a scribe as a compression algorithm, but that's
> basically what's going on.  Unfortunately, as always, compression
> can sometimes be expensive.

in my application, it was the lossiness which bothered me.  and,
while making searching easy is wonderful, it is useless if the
content itself is not there.

once again, my use mode, which in no way claim is the only one of
interest, was to get as much of the content of the sessions as
possible.  the jabber logs contain 1-5% of the technical and social
content of the videos.

randy