[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:37:23 MST, Doug Royer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

If you are talking about TLS certs (not S/MIME certs) then the ISP can
issue them to the customer directly (be a CA for connections from their
customers over TLS connections). I have read that the customer can be
given instructions on how to add the ISP cert as a trusted CA for that
usage on M$ products.

Non-scaling.

The *OTHER* end of the connection won't recognize the ISP's CA, most likely.

Maybe I misunderstood part of the previous e-mail ...

The other end would be the ISP's customer. I was not talking about
exporting the CERT to non-customers. I was talking about the ISP
issuing CERTs for their customers and rejecting all others to
port 25 for relaying. It allows roaming and is cheaper because
for "ISP-A" from/to "ISP-A customers", you do not need to buy
a cert.

So if I connect to a ISP-A port 25 and use a NON-ISP-A cert then
relaying is not allowed even when the cert is valid and from an
otherwise trusted CA. However ISP-A's customers can now have
multiple (what ever it is called in the cert) domains and they
can relay ONLY with their own ISP for ISP controlled domains.
And if you add authentication, now the ISP can control which
user(s) can relay specific domains.

And I agree with you, the big cert vendor - is not going to do that
for random customers.

--

 Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
                                |   Cell: (208)520-4044