Harald,

>> In any event, please note that the suggestion that applications are
>> required to use names, rather than IP addresses, is new.
>> As in, it has not been part of the Internet architecture for the past 25
>> years.

HTA> RFC 1958, June 1996:

HTA> 4. Name and address issues

HTA> yes, "required" is new, and IMHO unspportable.

whimsical:  ok, so only *20* years...

serious: the "required" was intended as the only significant point.
(this is worth emphasizing, since it is key to the question of whether
apps are "broken" or whether we have a new problem to solve.)

Obviously, names have been a part of the Internet architecture dating
back before there was an Internet architecture. (My decrepit memory
thinks Hosts.txt was present in 1972. If not, it was certainly very
quickly thereafter.)

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>