Paul,

> At 10:15 AM +0200 6/18/03, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> >I can think of some possible reasons, not necessarily exclusive
> >
> >- this is a bad idea/impossible to do well, so we shouldn't do it
> >- some other organization is already doing it, so we shouldn't
> >- we're too stupid to get it right, so we shouldn't do it
> >- the IETF is too large, so we shouldn't be adding more work
>
> This might be a combination of the latter three, but I think it is
> clearer for this WG:
>
> - the IETF's track record for this work so far is quite poor
>
> We have not shown any ability to create standards in this area with
> due speed or predictability.

I certainly agree with your on the "track record". But I think we
need to be a bit more specific on why the track record is "quite
poor". For example, why the IESG didn't approve 2547bis as a Proposed
Standard 2 years ago ?  Ditto for draft-martini... Perhaps folks
from the IESG would care to explain this...

Yakov.