The problem that you have with TCP (and made worse by SSH tunneling on top of
it) is that the number of round trips needed to successfully get a data packet
through is unreasonably high in a situation where you are attempting to
diagnose a network fault.

The other choice is to leave a LOT of state open (ie. TCP connections)
requiring a lot of extra memory, etc. on the device.  That said there is no
reason why you can not create a tunnel to a secure environment and run your
SNMP traffic from there.

Bill