> "From" lines and "Reply-to" and whatever are headers that are meant to
> be processed by computers.  So, you can say all you want about how
> dumb MUAs do or do not process these (and how intermediate mail
> servers should keep their mits off).  Now, humans use these lines,
> too.  So, call them dual use.
>
> The subject line, on the other hand, is just for people.

Book titles are for people, too.  Does that mean that it's okay for a
bookseller or library to change the titles on books, in order to help
the consumer indentify where they came from?

I'm a bit surprised at the frequency at which people who claim to be
networking protocol engineers fail to appreciate the benefits of clean
separation-of-function and layering.