> [smtp] is what the world uses today and will continue to use for quite
> some time.  reports of its death are just a tad premature.
>
> When folks agree on the new mail transfer services that we need and
> when we try to add them to smtp and fail, THEN we can have productive
> discussions about a replacement transfer protocol.

well, except that that's not how dns was created, or http, or html, or
nntp, or xml, or rpc/xdr/nfs, or sip, or pgp, or jabber.  i guess that's
how a lot of people now think it should be done, but the counterexamples
are extensive, and so i'm not convinced that smtp will be replaced under
precisely the conditions you describe.

> until then, calls for a new protocol ... constitute firing before aiming.

i guess we'll all see how it turns out.

i'm pretty comfortable with www.dictionary.com's definition of "consent".