ext Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

Sure there are. Here's a direct quote from the .mobi proposal:

        Businesses and consumers that utilise mobile devices will
        be able to take advantage of a wide range of Internet
        services and content under the mTLD that have been specifically
        tailored for access and use by mobile devices. The sponsored
        TLD provides a clearly recognisable mobile label to the
        services and content, indicating that they will be easy
        and convenient to use with mobile devices. By choice of
        suitable mobile-specific technologies, the service offering
        can be adapted to mobile-specific characteristics, such as
        the limitations of mobile networks and devices (throughput,
        temporary signal loss, etc), which will result in a better
        user experience for those services.

I find it hard to interpret that text in any other fashion -- they want
to describe end-to-end protocols by DNS name.

I don't quite see what the difference here is to .edu for example. Isn't this indeed very similar to how the .edu provides a "clearly recognisable" label for educational services and content?

Cheers,
Aki