> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> [I do understand what people are concerned about here but I also find
>  it important to remind myself from time to time how we are all working
>  towards raising the bar, and once raised, someone will speak up to
>  raise it even further. Why are we not trusting the system that has
>  worked remarkable well most of the time so far? Perhaps thats human
>  nature - if I look what it takes to release a new Linux kernel these
>  days or how difficult it is to make the next Debian release, I may
>  conclude that raising the bar is a normal part of such societies.]

That is seriously wrong.  The issue does not involve rising bars, but
falling bars that need to be caught or at least seen to be falling.
The IETF is, as it has been for 10 or 15 years, under attack from those
who use it for ends not consciously chosen by the IETF.

15 years ago there would have been blank looks of incredulity to
the suggestion that an outside, sometimes ostensibly ad hoc and
other times supposedly offical standards organization should push
through a document with as official a designation as "BCP" without
the let, leave, or hindrance of IETF consensus.  However, that is
the case today.

10 years ago no one would have considered the notion that individual
submissions should become official standards (of course I include
"Proposed" as an offical IETF standard) of the IETF with a yes vote
assumed from everyone outside the IESG.

Of course, 20 years or 25 years ago, things were nominally different.
In practical terms, the bar was higher still.

Vernon Schryver    [EMAIL PROTECTED]