At 06:24 09/05/2005, Keith Moore wrote:
> All I mean is that, for higher level protocols, letting people do what
> they will ("the market decides") seems to me to be the best option.

there are cases when this is true.  I don't think the cases are as simply
described as  "higher level protocols" or "applications".

Unfortunately never true with IANA. Once a registry is set-up it prevents a better one to address the same topic, even if disregarded by most of the users it will be used by some and will stay around. That will make up-grading its legacy a huge amount of convincing and probably years of delays for the market.
jfc