>  Date: 2005-07-06 16:16
>  From: Joe Touch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>   Ned Freed wrote:

> > This is exactly what I predicted would happen - the IANA considerations
> > section
> > has now become part of the boilerplate in at least one I-D template.
> > (Actually
> > make that two - I put in in my own equivalent template some time back.)

You can make it three: mine says:

   This memo adds no new IANA considerations.  The presence of this
   template text indicates that the author/editor has not actually
   reviewed IANA considerations.

and there's similar text for internationalization and security.

> The goal of putting it in the template is to encourage it be addressed,
> rather than forgotten altogether.
>
> However, I'm not at all in favor of requirements to IDs that are added
> ad-hoc; until this actually makes it into an RFC as a formal
> requirement, it won't be in the word template I manage.

I wouldn't call it ad-hoc; it's part of an IESG-generated document on
the official IETF web site, and it also has been documented for quite
some time in the draft successor to RFC 2223 also known as
instructions2authors.