On Jul 11, 2005, at 11:15 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I think that someone implementing or deploying a given specification may well wonder whether any IANA-assigned values are relevant, and the absence of a null section in an RFC doesn't help with that.

Personally, I never wonder whether there are any IANA-defined values in a specification. I do wonder from time to time what numbers are appropriate for various uses ("gee, this is the IP protocol, and I want to say that the interior header is TCP. How does one say that?"), and when I want to get a new number I wonder how to go about getting one. Once it is assigned, I'm afraid I don't much care who assigned it or by what process.