I'm not sure 'real time' is being used here in the same sense it might
be used outside IP communities, but that's a modest nit for now. (I liked
Yaakov Stein's "Interactive Services...." variant, though.)

This highlights one of the points of confusion about the current proposal:
the idea for the area seems to be getting defined in terms of some performance
constraints, but the constraints are fuzzy, at best.

Historically, the term "interactive" refers to human tolerances, with the most
interesting threshholds being at 1/2-second and 2 seconds.  The term
"real-time" tends to mean sub-second, and often much faster than that.
However much of the focus is on streaming, where the focus is on inter-packet
jitter, rather than the amount of time it takes for the first packet to show
up, or even for round-trip time.

And, by the way, just what is it that makes instant message and presence need
performance characteristics that are any different from http, DNS, or numerous
 other "interactive" protocols?

All of this leads to the larger problem that the proposed area appears to
desire to stovepipe integrated work on several layers.  The one thing this is
sure to achieve is an eventual failure to integrate with other uses for shared
layers.  By definition, the folks in the new area will not be worrying about
cohabitation; they will focus on on the needs of their own set of applications.

When we start having specialized applications dedicated for shared
infrastructure, that clever hour-glass is going to lose its shape...

d/
--

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking