    john> Bill,
    >> On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 14:36, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
    >>> If there was a way to lighten-up the IESG review process, then
    >>> this would be a good idea. For example, having a single
    >>> DISCUSS per Area would be one way to reduce this could be one
    >>> solution.
    >>  Why do you think this would make any difference in practice?
    >> chances are that an AD-pair would agree to hold a DISCUSS if
    >> either felt that an issue should block publication.

    john> What I meant was that the IESG spends a lot of time on
    john> document review.

As I've said before this is actually not the part of the IESG job I
would attack if I wanted to decrease IESG load.

We get fairly efficient at doing this job.
It does take time though.

    john> I don't think anyone has complained that
    john> there is not enough document review.  If we add more ADs,
    john> then we will be increasing the amount of document review.

Honestly I don't think more document review would be harmful.  I would
not focus on adding more document review at the final IESG review
layer, but I would not be sad if it happened.

One of two things will happen.  Either the discusses you get will
describe real problems that need to be fixed.  If that's the case then
we should fix these problems.

Alternatively we'll get discusses that the informed community
consensus ends up concluding are inappropriate.  In that case we
should work on removing these discusses and training IESG members.
That's true regardless of whether we add IESG members.  That problem
is also very important to fix even if we don't add IESG members.

Now, one thing we do get with a new area is more review of documents
earlier in the process and more active involvement of ADs in technical
management.  Many people believe that is needed; I am one of them.

As such, I believe the benefits of the new area to the IETF community
outweigh the costs.

--Sam