On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:09:10AM -0500, Brian Rosen wrote:
> It's trivial for a human, but not for a computer.
> Many things trivial for humans are not trivial for computers.
>
> The kind of harvesting you are talking about is trivial for a human from any
> format as long as your editor can paste while losing formatting.
>
> What we are seeing is increasing use of fully automated tools that don't
> have humans identifying which octets are MIB and which are code.  You can't
> do that with plain ASCII.

True.  So what?  Do you think that it is possible, or even a good
idea, that tools be able to rip out a MIB without reading the rest of
the text?  If so, why the heck do we spend so much time working on a
the human-readable sections, like Security Considerations?

And how much time does it really save to have an automated tool pull
out the MIB, instead of having a human do it?  And what percentage of
the effort does that represent out of the effort to create a product,
anyway?  0.0001%   0.00001%?

I can usually do it in under a minute with some emacs macros, but I'm
willing to admit that I may be a bit better at it than others.  Other
people could probably do it in a few minutes using sed and awk, or
even (gasp) perl.

                                                - Ted