    Stewart> For example you could say the following in text : router
    Stewart> A connects to router B and D, the cost from A to B is 2,
    Stewart> and the cost from A to D is 4.  Router B connects to
    Stewart> router C. The cost to router A is 6, and the cost to
    Stewart> router C is 10. Router C connects to router D. The cost
    Stewart> to router B is 9 and the cost to router D is 8. The cost
    Stewart> from router D to router A is 16 and the cost to router A
    Stewart> is 99.

I think we fundamentally disagree here that the text is not needed.
There's a bit of fuzz in that I think the normative text needs to
describe the properties of the graph necessary to make your point and
to make it obvious that such a graph exists; it may not need to
describe all the labels of all edges.