> From: Keith Moore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> >     I agree, but that opportunity may be to enhance NAT
> rather than throw
> > it away (you state something similar in your conclusion).
>
> As an engineer, the right thing to do is to transition away
> from NAT (along with IPv4), so that eventually it can be discarded.

As an engineer I think of COST vs BENEFIT.

In this case the benefit to running NAT on my home network is that it saves
me $50 per month in ISP fees, means I have wireless service to the whole
house and means that guests can easily connect.

I have never seen a coherent, rational argument as to why the network
numbering on my internal network should be the same as the network numbering
on the Internet. All I hear is a restatement of the original claim, the 'no
you didn't' mode of argument.

> I'm not a marketing person, but if I do my best to think like
> one, I suspect that the way to market this transition is not
> to say "this new box helps you get rid of NAT" but instead
> "this is a new, enhanced NAT"
> (or since they don't actually use the word NAT to talk about
> consumer gear, call it something like "IPv6-ready Enhanced
> Address Management")

People will still want to do NAT on IPv6.