Todd Glassey wrote:
> Joe thanks for the plumber and janitor response.  My response to the same
> statement would be:
>
>  The IETF's Editor's have a responsibility to NOT alter IP that is
> submitted to the IETF - that can by the Standards process ONLY happen
> through the IETF's Vetting process and is not the perogative of the
> Editors.

TThere are changes that do not affect IP - notably most corrections to
tense, spelling, punctuation, etc. There are changes that might affect
IP - those that involve unclear specification (a field with 8 values,
only 5 of which are described), etc. It's useful to catch these - though
the author determines how best to handle them.

I.e., the Editors don't change things, they raise questions or suggest
changes. The author and/or IESG (depending on suggested change) would
obviously have last say.

And the 'standards process' issue applies only to standards-track; there
are other docs (Informational, BCP, Experimental) that are handled as well.

Joe