On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:33:15 -0800
Dave Crocker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       The underlying specifications permit you to have different
> addresses, for different services.  They also permit you to have the
> *same* address.

This is only a good idea if coupled with a powerful, easy-to-use
interface that restricts presence visibility.  Many more people have my
email address than my IM addresses; I'm also very careful about who
gets my mobile phone number.  Why?  Because IM communication and phone
calls interrupt me in a way that email does not.  In fact, I take
advantage of email to avoid giving out the other information
promiscuously -- I tell people who perceive an urgent need to reach me
to email page-smb at the appropriate domain; this address is translated
to both SMS and a direct email message.