>> --On Tuesday, 13 March, 2007 16:58 +0100 Simon Josefsson
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> And it was a suggestion/ request that, before
>> this document was published in _any_ form, that it at least
>> acquire a clear discussion as to when one would select this form
>> over the well-established ASN.1 form for which there is existing
>> deployment, existing tools, etc.

Ned> This suggestion was at the very least strongly implicit in the earlier
Ned> discussion.

I think I made some preliminary conclusions regarding the intent of
this effort, which I can write more about later.

Ned> It also occurs to me that what may be needed here is a BCP on how to best
use
Ned> ASN.1. We have such a BCP on XML. ASN.1 is similarly complex and similarly
Ned> decorated with features, so it makes sense to me that if we're going to
Ned> continue to use it why not have a document discussing what features make
sense
Ned> and what ones don't. (For example, some sage advice on when and how to use
Ned> EXTERNAL could have made several protocols a lot more tractable.)

I began such a document a few years ago.  Perhaps I should dust it
off.  Also, I think many people contemplating ASN.1 would do well to
read the actual specifications, as well as the reasonably good (and
freely downloadable) books by Dubuisson and Larmouth.

>> Put differently, we all know
>> that this _can_ be done but, if there is another solution
>> already out there, widely deployed, and in active use, a clear
>> explanation about _why_ it should be done and under what
>> circumstances it is expected to useful is in order.

Ned> Given how little uptake (AFAIK) there has been of the various encodings for
Ned> ASN.1 beyond BER and DER (let's see, there's CER and PER and at least two
Ned> others whose names I cannot recall), I'm not especially worried about XER
Ned> taking the world by storm. Indeed, I think it would actually help XER's
case if
Ned> there was some explanation of where and why you'd ever want to use it.

Use of alternative encoding rules might best be coupled with
presentation layer negotiation, which is a direction the IETF has
historically resisted moving towards, I think.  (It doesn't help that
PER is rather baroque for the sake of conserving bits.)

Ned> The fact that pigs can be made to fly with enough dynamite doesn't get you
Ned> permission to use explosives for purposes of implementing porcine aviation.

>> That suggestion about an explanation was a specific request
>> about the document, not idle theorizing about the character of
>> ASN.1 or the nature of complexity.

>> And, again, pretending that the discussion didn't occur
>> impresses me as a little strange.

Ned> Agreed.

I believe the omissions in the writeup have been acknowledged to be
mistakes.

---Tom