>> On rereading my message, it probably came out stronger than I intended.
>> But according to my English-Russian dictionary the verb "would" can
>> convey "polite request", which was my intent.
>>

> Hmm... I'm still not sure what you're trying to say. My point is
> that there shouldn't be any consensus calls by anyone on the
> ietf-http-auth mailing list. It's not a WG.

I think I'd say it slightly differently.  I don't see why any discussion
group shouldn't try to reach consensus within that group.  But such
consensus doesn't impose any burden on IETF to adopt its output.

Then again, neither (IMHO) does consensus of an IETF WG impose any
burden on IETF as a whole to adopt its output.  Every working group (and
every individual submitter) should understand that it's its job to earn
community-wide consensus, rather than merely consensus within its group.