On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:23:58AM +1000,
 Mark Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
 a message of 32 lines which said:

>       No sane TLD operator can expect "http://tld"; or "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
>       to work reliably.

[Mark, you used non-RFC2606 names, the IESG will put a DISCUSS against
you.]

I agree but it is not the point: an email adress like
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is legal and works but not reliably (there are
many stupid broken Web forms which refuse it and tell me it's not
valid).

http://example is legal and should work. If it does not, it may
indicate a broken implementation.

>       I suspect there are still mail configuations
>       around that will re-write "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

There are many broken mail configurations.

>       Should we be writting a RFC which states that MX and address
>       records SHOULD NOT be added to the apex of a TLD zone?

No. A TLD is a domain like any other and we should not write special
rules for them.

>       Should we be writting a RFC which states that single label
>       hostnames/mail domains SHOULD NOT be looked up "as is" in
>       the DNS?

I hate special cases.