> --On Tuesday, 08 July, 2008 11:47 +1000 Mark Andrews
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >> The site-dependent interpretation of the name is determined
> >> not by the presence of dot within the name but its absence
> >> from the end.
> >
> >     No.  Please go and re-read RFC 921.
>
> This is the same RFC 921 that
>
>       * is listed in the RFC Index as "Status: UNKNOWN"

        Unknown doesn't mean irrelevent.

>       * was not even examined in the "requirements" review
>       that led up to RFC 1123 and is not referenced there.

        RFC 1123 -> RFC 952 -> RFC 921

>       * primarily talks about an implementation schedule and
>       transition plan, not about long-term stable
>       interpretations.

> Isn't claiming that as an authority in 2008 a bit of a stretch?

        No.  Old does not mean irrelevent.

> Especially since, as Ted Farber points out, text in 1035 itself
> seems to contradict your reading of that particular section?

        No.  RFC 1035 applies to domain names, not hostnames.

> I believe that 952 is almost equally irrelevant wrt this
> argument. YMMD, of course.

        RFC 952 is the latest rfc which defines the syntax of a
        hostname.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]