> > Many people do not have the liberty of upgrading machines or OSs at
> > ease.
>
> But is that a problem for you or for the network team ?
>
> There is a point where certain legacy hardware is just not
> going to cut it anymore and I don't believe that that is the
> fault of the network team.

Given the subject line above that started this thread, are you
sure you are taking the discussion in the right direction?
Demanding perfection from wireless networks is probably not
the way to go, and demanding perfection from participants'
laptops doesn't seem to be the right way either.

One thing that does seem interesting to explore is whether
scribing could be made easier by building a special piece
of software to support the scribing activity. Such software
could include a Jabber client that has some more robust features
to deal specifically with the type of intermittent connectivity
problems that occur on wifi networks at conferences, not just
the IETF ones. The scribe could just keep on typing and the software
would log every keystroke locally, and automatically log in
and send anything that was missed. In addition you could add
features to make typing easier as in "predictive texting".

If you think of this in terms of "Meeting Scribe" software,
not a special Jabber client, then it could have a bunch of
other features as well, such as uploading the transcripts
to a website, assisting the scribe in producing summary minutes
from a transcript, downloading a list of meeting participants
to use in entering the names into the appropriate points in
the transcript, managing two Jabber channels, one with pure
transcript, and the other with transcript and other chatter.

--Michael Dillon