Ole Jacobsen wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, John C Klensin wrote:

Let me see if I can ask the question in a slightly more productive way.

Ray and IAOC:

I assume that, in each of these out-of-the-way cases, you have asked potential
hosts to pick locations that meet other criteria, such as the airport one, and
that they have said "no, we won't sponsor except in our chosen location".
Could you confirm that?

It's rarely just a matter of "the hosts chosen location," but what is available at a given time and what is suitable for an IETF meeting in

So, in this economy, you think that the choices were severely restricted 15 months from the time the contract was made?

In the case of The Netherlands (where the major sponsors for this meeting are based), it's a choice between maybe 3 possible venues and, no they don't care which one nor are they the sole decider.

Starting with the assumption that it has to be the Netherlands -- no matter how nice that country is -- is already a problematic constraint, if it produces problematic choices. Link host to venue -- at all -- and this is what happens.

In the case of Japan, Hiroshima would not necessarily have been the #1 choice if they had been given the option to host "any year", but this wasn't the case for that particular meeting.

Another example of the problem with linking host to venue.

 In other words,
availability of venues is a major factor.

Availability within some larger context of constraints.

Coming from Tokyo to Minneapolis isn't exactly a single hop either if you want to consider another case.

Right. If we are serious about choosing "convenient" venues, then Minneapolis well might not qualify, no matter its other benefits.

I think Ray and Drew can answer this better, but let's just say that the "money pool" idea is very difficult to sell to most sponsors.

I've heard that, too, from multiple sources. It's odd that few folks mind the hidden, additional costs of an inconvenient venue.

I don't think we've ever had hosts who have "insisted on out of the way locations," but I agree that such an analysis would be good to present.

I have not heard anyone suggest that the hosts are unreasonable. This is a systemic issue and, oddly, has nothing to do with the hosts themselves, I believe.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking