On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Randall Gellens <ra...@qualcomm.com> wrote:
> At 5:45 PM +0800 9/21/09, Peny Yang wrote:
>
>>  However, IMHO, your
>>  experience may be the story 10 years ago. I am a smoker. When I would
>>  like to smoke, I always go find the smoking corner.
>>  Now, in Beijing, smoking is prohibited in most of public areas. From
>>  my experience, the policies on smoking in China are more restrict than
>>  some other countries like EU, Japan.
>
> My experience was a couple of years ago, not ten, but it's good to hear that
> things have improved.  Can you tell me what this "smoking corner" is?
[Peny] OK. "Smoking corner" means some areas for smoking. China
Government surely respects the right of smokers, when they tried to
protect the health of non-smokers.

> recall that a few years ago Copenhagen airport, for example, had such
> things, but they were simply designated indoor areas, and as such, were no
> help at all.  Likewise, a few years ago, meetings in Japan officially
> prohibited smoking in many public areas, but the hotel simply wheeled in
> portable "smoking areas" which did nothing to help.
[Peny] Well, every country has similar issues as you mentioned. In
China, we also have such kind of smoking areas. I couldn't say they
are 100% isolated from other areas.

> Can you tell me more about the smoking policy in China now?
[Peny] OK. Originally, I was trying to find a English webpage for you.
However, I didn't find it. Anyway, the link below is the policy on
smoking in Beijing since Mar. 2008.
http://www.gov.cn/gzdt/2008-04/10/content_941252.htm
I am not sure if you have some Chinese friends to translate it for you.

> And I agree with you about Japan, although that in the last few years I've
> been able to find 100% non-smoking restaurants (it takes some work).
[Peny] Well, I have to say quite a lot of EU countries are also the
same style. Anyway, just like other countries, China is just a
country, which has smokers and non-smokers. This issue should not be a
barrier for a IETF meeting in China.