Ted,

I understand that it is very hard for a lawyer to tell us whether or
not there is a guarantee that we will be "safe", but if there is
something that is clear on the face that might be "unsafe", I think it
takes a fairly large amount of handwaving to say, "that's not
something you need to worry about in the contract".  In fact, lawyers
are usually telling us the opposite!

Yes, because those lawyers are on a CYA mode. If you are lucky, they may advice what your safest option is, but you need to make the final call yourself.

But more generally, there are no absolutely safe options, not in China and not elsewhere. I pretty much agree wit Marshall's analysis on the motives of the various parties in this particular case, and I'd have no problem with going over there with the IETF.

Jari