Cullen Jennings wrote:
On October 8, the IESG approved the registration of application/3gpp-ims+xml Media Type. On Nov 2, RIM filed an IPR disclosure related to this at

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1219/

The associated patent, filed Oct 2008, is at

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Mk7GAAAAEBAJ

and the related draft is

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bakker-sipping-3gpp-ims-xml-body-handling

I will note John-Luc Bakker from RIM is an author of both the patent and and the draft. The draft has been widely discussed at IETF with no mention of IPR before this. As an IESG member, I was not aware of this IPR at the time the approval was made and I do not believe any other IESG members were aware of it.
I agree with this assessment. I was not aware of any related IPRs when I sponsored this MIME type registration and I don't think other IESG members knew either.
I do believe the discussion would have been different had the IESG been aware of this IPR.