On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:32:49AM -0500, Donald Eastlake wrote:
> version/font/... problems are overblow, etc. As a data point, I would
> refer people to
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/031010-hackers-love-to-exploit-pdf.html

That appears to be an argument that Adobe's products contain bugs, and
not an argument that PDF/A (to pick the only reasonable PDF format one
would use for RFCs) is subject to such attacks.

Your argument above is roughly akin to arguing that the web is a bad
publication format because some browser-of-choice is loaded with
exploitable flaws.

PDF/A is a deliberately-limited format designed specifically for
archival purposes.  As a consequence, it has robust support from the
library world.  These are the same people who use the
egregiously-flawed MARC format because that was the standard they
settled on several years ago.  The same people, for that matter, who
have filing systems in various libraries dating to periods where "Holy
Roman Emperor" was a seriously powerful position -- because that's how
it's organized, and they're not going to change it for the sake of
innovation.

The IETF format is specifically designed for, as far as I can tell, a
particular printer, long since out of production.  It has robust
support from, well, the IETF tools team.  We don't even have a
currently-maintained, up to date version of the software that was
supposed to be the new-look equivalent to *roff for generating
Internet Drafts correctly formatted.

I do get the arguments in favour of ASCII, though I think there are
some pretty serious countervailing arguments (like, for instance, that
we can't spell many contributors' names, to take an easy one).  But
the RFC format _is not_ plain ASCII.  Just ask anyone whose draft has
failed the increasingly stringent and lengthy list of IDNits tests due
to bad pagination in their I-D.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
a...@shinkuro.com