Right, but the since that would make it an "unknown validity" config, and the
requirements do not mandate any UA to *use* an "unknown validity" config... do
you see a problem?

Instead of getting into an unknown-behavior state, why don't you simply allow
the HTTP response to NOT have a Link header, or define a NULL URI to use - and
then state that it means there is no Subscription service and the UA MUST
consider the HTTP-based config valid?

> No one is going to be forced to use any of this specification.  If you
> don't want the features it provides (automatic initial configuration
> with prompt updates), then don't use it.

So we should go define another profile which is a textual copy of this one, but
changes two sentences??  Is that really good for SIP or the SIP-Forum?

> At the risk of repeating myself, I want to make sure that one reason for
> using SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY for the change notices is clear:  there is no
> other existing standard way to address a specific User Agent.

Right, I understand that you have no other way to do X.  Fine, so specify how
to do X.  Don't mandate that X be used with Y, when Y does not depend on X to
function properly, and X is not trivial.

-hadriel