Based on a sample of 3 (Hiroshima, Anaheim and Maastricht) I am not at
all sure your statement is factually correct. Tokyo would have been
better than Hiroshima and Amsterdam might have been better than
Maastricht and maybe "LA" (a big place) would have been better than
Anaheim, but to conclude that these locations "discourage one-day
attendance" I think is a stretch.

The day pass experiment was specifically implemented at the request of
WIDE who wanted to invite non-IETFers to see what the IETF is all
about. If we measure the "return rate" for those people I am sure it's
not very high, but that's only one way to measure the result.

Ole