On Sep 8, 2010, at 11:17 PM, Bob Hinden wrote:

> Eric,
>
> On Sep 8, 2010, at 1:05 PM, Eric Burger wrote:
>
>> I would offer RFC 5211 is PRECISELY the kind of RFC the IETF should NOT be
>> publishing!  I can see the press release now: "IETF publishes IPv6
>> transition plan."   NO ONE OUTSIDE THE IETF has a clue the RFC Editor is NOT
>> the IETF.  "RFC = IETF" is the *reality*, no matter how much we say it is
>> not.
>
> The IETF did not publish it, the RFC-Editor published it.
>
>> For that matter, would the world notice if the press release made the
>> accurate statement, "The RFC Editor, who publishes all IETF protocols,
>> publishes IPv6 transition plan"?  What rational person would not make the
>> leap that the IETF published the document?
>
> Anyone who actually read the document.  If we are going to worry about what
> people think who don't read our documents, we should stop now.

Also see RFC 5741 work on which was inspired on exactly this sort of discussion.

Quoting from that:

   For non-IETF stream documents, a reference to Section 2 of this RFC
   is added with the following sentence:

      "Documents approved for publication by the [stream approver --
      currently, one of: "IAB", "IRSG", or "RFC Editor"] are not a
      candidate for any level of Internet Standard; see Section 2 of RFC
      5741."

   For IETF stream documents, a similar reference is added for BCP and
   Standards Track documents:

      "Further information on [BCPs or Internet Standards] is available
      in Section 2 of RFC 5741 ."

--Olaf