On Nov 8, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

>     "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."  --  Thomas Jefferson
>
>     It is also the price for maintaining quality and culture. -- D. Crocker
>

> One of the problems with having things work well is that we get complacent.
>
> Once we get through the challenges of gaining approval for a document, today
> we find that going the the RFC publication is usually efficient and even
> painless.
>
> This has not always been so and it could become 'not so' in the future.
>
> Tonight's plenary will not include the above-offered announcement, but it
> /will/ include a proposal on the RFC Editor office, covering the structure
> and functions, with a focus on the open position for the RFC Series Editor --
> roughly equivalent to the position previously held by Bob Braden and created
> by Jon Postel.
>
> As always, if you ignore the current round of proposal review, you do not get
> to later complain that the result is wrong.  Worse, if you do not participate
> now, you are probably increasing the likelihood that it will be wrong...

Some additional information:

During this evening we have put this discussion at the end of the agenda, after
the IAB open microphone session.

WRT timing: We have approximately 30 minutes allocated for about 10 mins of
introduction and 20 mins of discussions. While I do not want to be strict with
respect to the end time I do want to respect that people need food and want to
try to close microphone lines at 19:30.

Until now I have not seen any questions for the IAB open microphone session. I
suspect that the open microphone doesn't need the allocated 30 mins so we may
gain some time at the start.

Also see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg08097.html
http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2010-November/001827.html