On Jan 27, 2011, at 8:12 , IETF Chair wrote:

> Originally, two ports were assigned for plain and over-TLS, which for HTTP
> mapped to two different URL schemes: http and https.
>
> Many people thought that this was a waste of a port, and the STARTTLS
> approach was developed.  You say that it does not work in some cases, and you
> seem to be suggesting that we go back to the original way.
>
> Maybe it works in some cases and not others.  Can we say which is which?

I did misread the draft as saying that 2 ports were not allowed when clearly
that was not what people meant but ...

I'm mostly concerned about cases where latency or bandwidth are an issue -
basically protocols for real time protocols for internet of things. For things
like email I'm less concerned. However, I think we can make some observation
about which works best. Consider some of the most successful protocols on the
internet

http, 2 ports

email, pop, imap, and smtp, -  more use on multi ports than STARTLS though many
deployment support both

sip, 2 ports