On Jan 31, 2011, at 9:41 , Magnus Westerlund wrote:

> Cullen Jennings skrev 2011-01-31 17:13:
>
>> Well lets say the request was coming from 3GPP for a protocol they designed
>> - why should IANA be able to tell them no but IETF yes.
>
> I am not certain I understand what your issue is here. Is it that they
> can come to different conclusions, and that IETF can decided to override
> the expert review team? I think that is the logical conclusion, as the
> IETF's decision will have gone through a consensus process. One which
> the expert can provide their view into this.
>

>> I think the policy issue here is fairly clear. We do not have consensus that
>> in all cases that one should not have a second port for security (I'm basing
>> this assertion on Magnus read of WG consensus and my read of IETF LC
>> consensus). Therefore that should not be a ground for the expert reviewer
>> (or IANA) to reject the registration. The document needs to be updated to
>> make that clear or it does not reflect consensus. If the authors of the
>> draft want to propose text for conditions when it would be ok to reject a
>> second port for security purposes and see if they can get consensus for that
>> text, that seems perfectly reasonable.
>

> My reading of the WG last call consensus is that nobody is disagreeing
> with the goal of trying minimize the port consumption. My interpretation
> is that we do need to state that goal in the document. And the only way
> of achieving this is to try to minimize the consumption by each protocol
> that requires a registration. That includes trying to get all
> multiplexing into that single socket, or at least use it for agreeing on
> dynamic range port for this protocol.
>

>> I'm sure that some people believe the draft, by using the word "strives",
>> actually means that this is not a grounds for rejection but given the push
>> back from Lars and Joe, I believe that "strives" means that the decision is
>> up to Joe. Given things could be read either ways, I think it's fair to ask
>> for the draft to clarify this.
>
> It is a high level goal to minimize the port space consumption. I do
> believe there is strong consensus for this. And I believe that the only
> way of ensuring that this goal is meet is to take a pretty hard stance
> against frivolous use of ports.
>
> Thus, I still think there is clear grounds for rejecting requests for
> multiple ports based on not sufficiently motivating why it is impossible
> to not use one port. I do agree that these guidelines should be
> documented, and that is the plans as far as I know.

Magnus, I agree with what you are saying here but you are avoiding the issue I
am concerned with. Is allocating a second port for the secure version of a
document a frivolous use case or not? I read this draft as saying it is. Others
read the draft as saying it is not and that type of allocation is fine. This
seems fairly easy to deal with - first lets agree if particular 2nd port for
secure version is a reason to reject requests or not then see if any text needs
to be adjusted in the draft to reflect that.