Cullen Jennings skrev 2011-02-01 18:19:

> So to summarize what you are saying, ports are allocated based on an
> arbitrary view of the expert review. When this person will say yes or no too
> can't be described and will change over time.
>
> If that's how it works, there is not even any grounds for appeal of any given
> decision. You can't even use precedence as an argument. My view was the IESG
> has been trying to move to having much more concrete advice for registries
> that required expert review. If you agree that is about the right summary,
> then I'm pretty sure I can find plenty of other people that would agree with
> me that this is not OK. I'm not a fan of the WG could not get consensus on if
> we should allow A or not so we are just going to let the expert review do
> whatever they want. If the IETF could not come to consensus on if X  or Y
> were reasons to deny a registration, then I don't think the expert review
> should be able to deny a registration due to X or Y.

Cullen,

Apparently you like to twist what I am saying in most negative way and
without considering the checks that are in place.

- I think general guidelines can and should be developed. But other than
high level goals this isn't the document. Here Joe has the start of a
document. But I do think that in long term this guidance may change.

- There is an appeal process where the IESG and then IAB gets to sanity
check the arguments that the reviewer + IANA has given towards the
appealing requestor.

- One can take a assignment request through the IETF process

I hope that we can get consensus on the guidelines, because I think that
would give the reviewers a lot of comfort being able to rely on that
consensus.

Cullen, what are your suggestion for how to improve the document?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund