> Certainly the IASA/IAD/IAOC reorganisation produced a noticeable
> reduction in the IETF Chair workload, but what has changed since
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-carpenter-ietf-chair-tasks-00 ?
> It would be good to have a similar analysis for the IAB chair role.

Below is a copy from a note I mailed to the IAB dd Feb 17, 2011. It wis a
variation on a note that I mailed to the Nomcom in 2009. It may not map exactly
to what you are asking, but I believe it is close enough.

Also, my wish to remove the _must_ in the 'iChiefs must be a member of the
IAOC' best current practice is not a cherry picking act. The IAB has hired
secretarial assistance for the agenda keeping, todo-list maintenance, minutes,
etc. It is pushing forward the 'programs and initiatives' model that allows for
subgroups to do a lot of actual work without the chair driving that (i.e. much
more formal delegation of activities to sub-groups with possibly external
members).

> [...]
> members are mostly architectural. There are arguments that the load on the
> IAB chair is to high and it causes the job to be more than a half-time
> position (depending on personal effectively, delegation skill, organizational
> skills and the quality of an executive director[*], it may even be closer to
> 3 quarters). And I believe that there are some structural questions one can
> ask, such as in the ex-officio membership of the IASA/IOAC.
> If we manage to get the Programs ran as more or less autonomous motors that
> produce recommendations to the IAB it may be that the chairs job becomes
> relatively bearable.
> While I think that with the Programs we have put a good structure in place it
> will need serious efforts of the next chair and the NEW IAB to make working
> with programs part of the common mindset.
> I think, and I realize that I am biased, that an IAB chair has some of the
> following skills, properties:
>       ∙ Organizational: tracking actions, poking people, planning the work
> load. A good Executive Director can be of tremendous help
>       ∙ Moderating and motivating: The ability to herd cats where
> occasionally a cat will have its claws out.
>       ∙ Diplomatic: In inter-organizational contacts taking the diplomatic
> way to where you would like to end up.
>       ∙ Strategic: Constantly trying to up-level and see bigger picture while
> remembering that actionable progress needs to be made.
>       ∙ Open and sharing: Open to information received and conscious about
> timely sharing of that information.
> Note that I did not list technical/architectural skills in the above.
> Obviously an IAB chair needs to understand the technical issues but I do not
> believe that the IAB needs to be the 'chief architect'. While having an
> inspiring "Architect" leading the IAB would be nice I don't think it is a
> requirement. More important is that architectural work is being organized and
> the chair allows others to excel in their technical expertise.
> I am not saying that I had all the skills and properties above, but not
> feeling the need to be "the technical champion" and not feeling the pressure
> from my fellow members to act like one helped a great deal.
> FWIW I am committed to several IAB projects that do not automagically travel
> with the chair (e.g. RSE project and IANA strategy) and I plan to continue to
> be involved in those
> Folding these requirements with the thoughts on alignment with the day-job of
> a chair candidate and the possible willingness of an employer to sponsor more
> than half-time of a function that has fairly little technical return might be
> a challenge.
> [*] as mentioned in my other note, a dedicated (i.e. payed staff) Executive
> Director may be a great way to reduce the time efforts needed by an IAB
> chair, and other members. I should hurry to say that this is not mend as a
> comment on Dow, day-job interference plagues us all.

http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/
I will start to use a new PGP key (ID 0x3B6AAA64) at the beginning
of May 2011.