On Jun 30, 2011, at 12:51 AM, Melinda Shore <melinda.sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/29/11 8:32 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
>> However it does not follow that home networks need NAT or private address
>> space.  Those are hacks of the 1990s.  They always were shortsighted, and
>> they turned out to be an operational disaster.  We can do better.
>
> We can and should, but it's pretty clear that if the IETF
> were good at evangelizing we wouldn't be in this situation
> in the first place.  The focus really needs to be on producing
> good, secure protocols that work on the networks we've got.

...or the networks we can see coming in the near future.  ZigBee Alliance is
driving an IPv6-based multi-link architecture through planned deployments of
SE2.0 by several utilities.  BBF and CableLabs both expect IPv6, end-to-end
connectivity

Homenet will avoid breaking existing IPv4 deployments in the networks we've got
today, but won't spend resources on unnecessary (in some cases impossible)
feature parity.

- Ralph