transparent, if this is indeed a problem it needs to be fixed.  As a founding
member of the IAOC, I can attest that these two qualities, responsiveness and
transparency, were the driving concerns that led to the creation of the IASA.

Having served on the IAOC and having watched successive administrations, I know
first hand the old verity, "You can please all of the people some of the time
and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people
all of the time."  Moreover, it's almost always the people that are unhappy
that make the most noise.

All of this is normal and to be expected.  That said, the IETF is in full
control of the IAOC, so if they're not responsive and/or not transparent, it's
relatively easy to get their attention and/or replace them.  But the more
likely situation is that different subgroups within the IETF want different
things, and it's simply impossible to satisfy everybody.  There are surely a
large fraction of attendees who like having everything in one place and who are
relatively insensitive to the price.  Whether that should be the prevailing
answer is up to the overall community.  The IAOC will surely do whatever the
overall community wants, as long as it's actually feasible.  If the community
insists on contradictory or impossible results and then insists on blaming the
IAOC, we'll simply have dysfunctional chaos.

Let's get the facts laid out for all to see, figure out what choices we're
going to make, and then live with the results.

Thanks,

Steve

Full disclosures:

1. My brother, Dave Crocker, is currently on the IAOC.

2. I did not discuss this with him.  In general, we have different value sets
with respect to meetings (and many other things).

3. Whenever he and I are aligned, we're almost always right.