Rolf,

I agree with the points that you have raised, we need to make more
efficient use of our time to address the real technical issues.

To expand on this point, one major factor that has not been considered in
this draft is that significant deployments (300,000+ nodes) of a second
solution already exist. This second solution is based on the Ethernet tool
OAM tool set, see draft-fang-mpls-tp-oam-considerations for further
details.

Given the current situation the pragmatic engineering approach is to:
 - Acknowledge these deployments:
 - Define a method for interconnecting between domains that deploy the
tools identified in draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-analysis and the Ethernet based
tool set that avoids the need for an interworking function:
 - Take steps to avoid a proliferation of further options (i.e. a third of
fourth or nth solution).

I do not want to expend energy on debating how we arrived at this
situation, its document on various email threads and in Internet drafts.
History has shown that we all have our own interpretation of these events
and repeating this debate is unlikely to cause the protagonists to change
their opinions.  We need to focus on how we manage the situation in which
we find ourselves.

Regards,

Malcolm

Rolf Winter <rolf.win...@neclab.eu>
Sent by: ietf-boun...@ietf.org
05/10/2011 10:52 AM

Loa Andersson <l...@pi.nu>
cc
"ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject
RE: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The
Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM)        to
Informational RFC

Hi Loa,

There actually are some nuggets in the document but you have to look hard
for them. E.g. section 4.2 analyzes TDM PWs and states that even within
the IETF the exact same situation has arisen before, and three solutions
have been specified. However, the IETF made one of them the default
solution, so at least there is a baseline type to use and interoperability
is guaranteed. If the IETF has gone down that particular path, then I
don't see a reason why we cannot do the same thing again (yes, yes I know
it is not optimal, I wish life was simple but I was recently convinced of
the opposite). The document makes another good point in this regard: the
party that is not using the default needs to bear all the cost
(operational and such) which is a good point to make. This whole situation
right now feels like some sort of attrition warfare and I don't think it
is efficient use of our time.

Best,

Rolf

NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London
W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014