> From: Michel Py [mic...@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us]
>
> There is a good potential of conflict in the appreciation of the
> "negotiate in good faith" thing, as the carrier with a majority of SIP
> clients would not want to invest in the TDM hardware to connect, while
> the carrier with a majority of TDM clients would not want to invest in
> the SIP gateways.

Given that the FCC has said

    We anticipate that the reforms we adopt will further promote the
    deployment and use of IP networks, and seek comment in the
    accompanying FNPRM regarding the policy framework for IP-to-IP
    interconnection. [...]  we expect all carriers to negotiate in
    good faith in response to requests for IP-to-IP interconnection
    for the exchange of voice traffic.

it appears that their intention is to require IP-to-IP
interconnection.  The "carrier with a majority of TDM clients" will
probably have to provide IP interconnection.

Dale