On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 03:20, Yaakov Stein <yaako...@rad.com> wrote:

> The requirement is not that we will be able to write a new document in 50
> years in the same format.
> The requirement is that we should be able to read the documents written 50
> years before.
>
> The problem about ASCII art is not simply the monospacing.
> The main problem is the line wrapping.

(snip what was essentially my original "inconvenient but a far cry
from unreadable" scenario)

It might make sense to limit based on that, if such small screens were
the only ones that we expect people with an interest in our documents,
to have easy access to.  However, the trend is not *only* towards
small screens, but also a *multitude* of screens.  (Some are even
getting *larger*, such as the monitors used by . . . our typical
audience.)  The presence of the newer smaller screens is a red
herring, so long as the older larger ones are still around -- and I
expect them to still be around forever, if for no other reason than
exactly what you describe!

-Dave

--
LOOKING FOR WORK! What: Ruby (on/off Rails), Python, other modern languages.
Where: Northern Virginia, Washington DC (near Orange Line), and remote work.