On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Doug Barton <do...@dougbarton.us> wrote:

> On 12/01/2011 22:07, Ted Hardie wrote:
> > No, I think that premise is mis-stated.   Premise 1: There exists
> > equipment that can't handle identical addresses on the interior and
> > exterior interface.  Premise 2: it may be deployed now or in the future
> > for customers using any part of the RFC 1918 allocation *because those
> > using the RFC 1918 allocations had no prior warning that this might
> > create a collision*.  Conclusion:  You cannot avoid identical addresses
> > on the interior and exterior interface by using any part of the RFC 1918
> > allocation.
>
> But doesn't that same line of reasoning apply to any new allocation
> that's made for this purpose? You can fix the problem for today, but you
> can't fix it for the future because you can't prohibit customers from
> using the new allocation on the inside of their network.

If a customer uses a CGN-specific allocation on the inside of their network
as if it were RFC 1918 space, then, yes, they will have trouble if they
ever use a provider that uses a CGN.  At the very least, though, they have
collaborated in their need to renumber by ignoring the quite plain warnings
that this is a bad idea.   They did not have that warning about using an
allocation from RFC 1918 space.

> Therefore, making the allocation is a pointless waste of resources that
> can be better utilized elsewhere.
>
> Step 1: Determine the most popular inside prefixes for CPEs
> Step 2: Use the least popular RFC 1918 prefix for the CGN network
> Step 3: If your customer has somehow chosen the same prefix, tell them
> they can't do that.
>
> And yes, I realize that Step 3 is going to be incredibly unpopular for
> the ISPs, but they created the problem, so they should have to live with
> the results.

It's not going to be unpopular with ISPs, it will be unpopular with
*customers*.  To retain those customers, the ISPs will simply ignore the
RFC and use some other space.  At least, that's my prediction.

regards,

Ted