CM

>One question, though, that I wish to address to the authors of
>draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request and perhaps others: why
>would not an allocation from 240/4 (the former Class E address
>space) work for CGN space?  I'm well aware that it would be very
>difficult to use this as ordinary IPv4 address space because of the
>long history of treating it as a "Martian" address range.  It seems
>to me, however, that this would NOT be an issue for CGN boxes --
>those being new equipment, the software can be upgraded to treat
>this address range differently than it traditionally has been.  It
>would be more difficult for CPE equipment to use -- especially stuff
>that's already deployed -- but that's actually an ADVANTAGE since
>such devices are not supposed to use CGN space.  And an allocation
>from 240/4 would not use up scarce global IPv4 space, which is one
>of the main objections I've been hearing to this allocation.

It may be possible to use 240/4 on the CGN box (code upgrade), but the
CPEs would have a problem.  These CPEs are a key part of the problem. The
space would need to work with what's in the field.  The CGN space would be
assigned the the CGN zone which may be configured on the internal
interface of the CGN box, but would absolutely be configured on the CPE
WAN interface. Numbering tens of CGN boxes is not the issue, numbering
thousands to millions of CPEs is.

240/4 would require firmware upgrades to many (if not all) CPEs, of which
many are not under the control of the operator (home user bought and
controlled).  It is not feasible to upgrade the entire CPE base.

This is one of the key issues with 240/4.

Regards,

Victor K