Todd,

You may or may not be right about whether an individual can make a decision to
disclose. In my experience they often can't, but do have the power to
request/implore their employer to disclose.

On the other hand, they *do* have the power to not participate.

BCP79 offers this choice and I make no comment about which is preferable.
However, it is clear from BCP79 that individuals have the choice and the
responsibility to choose.

Thanks,
Adrian

Appendix